Monday, May 2, 2011

Of the hook Line and Sinker

Well....I have chosen the topic.Now I need to write something.However the pompous ass I am,I didn't even think twice before attempting to let my feelings be known on something so vague. However I guess even the greatest fools deserve the chance to try and I am no better..So let's see what I can come up with..

We often hear the words "hook line and sinker" which loosely translates to falling for or believing something totally. It has a negative connotation to it implying trickery in most cases.All these we already know. Now lets try to look at it from another way.

First of all why such an idiom?

It comes from the fishing field(hence the fishy stuff associated with it i guess!!Ok that was a poor joke.)
a fishing line with a weight attache to the hook at the end of it. the weight is the bait and fishes tend to grab it getting caught in the process.Hence the usage.

Now what if I say that all these elaborate traps are nothing but mere adaptations in the face of adversity?
A fish won't swim up to the doting hands of the fisherman,hence the contraption. Also we can't argue the fisherman is doing something wrong. Afterall its a matter of his livelihood. So entrapment for selfish gains is ruled out.

In the real world people who are tricked are usually the ones who are the most gullible. Give them a coin,they will want to believe they can strike gold.So its no wonder they are tricked into false gratifications.So then the question is why is the term used in such a way?Good men are practical too and they know for the greater part the world doesnt believe in good samaritans. Therefore uninvited philanthropy is always greeted by skepticism. They wouldn't be ensnared so easily. A just punishment treachery is for the fools don't you think?

Fishes need to be caught and the ignorant frogs from the well should be taught a lesson. Hook Line and Sinker?Bring 'em on!

No comments:

Post a Comment